Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Best Mail Ever!

Today our mail carrier was greeted at the end of our driveway and the packages she had were ripped from her hands. A few bills, etc. were probably dropped as I sprinted back to the house and by now they're probably in the neighbors' yards.

Inside the first big box was my large umbrella swift and my Royal ball winder. I sold lots of stuff on eBay this last month and coincidentally, I purchased these from another eBay seller. Immediately both were set up and the remaining skeins of my Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool that I'm using for the Liv sweater were wound into center-pull skeins.

Inside the smaller package were 4 SKEINS of Blue Moon Fiber Art's Socks That Rock yarn! Two are for me to keep and fondle and the other two will be mailed out tomorrow for Scout and Elizabeth as prizes for the Harry Potter contest I held back in April.

My DH immediately started 20 questions about the winder and swift. First, the big one, "How much did they cost?" Followed by, "How often will you use it? Why isn't yarn sold that way in the first place? Won't the stores do that for you? Etc., etc." None of the answers seemed to satisfy him, but we've been married for almost 13 years now so he just let it go. Good boy. After all, I seldom spend money because I hate malls, crowds and clothes shopping.


In knitting news, I'm ready to start the sleeves for the Liv sweater. I want to modify them so that they flair slightly at the cuff. Also, the body is looking pretty narrow so I may add two cabled panels, one up each side to accommodate my tummy, hips, etc. Loose clothes are my friends. It's times like these that I wish I possessed the skills of the ever-talented Eunny! She modifies and creates patterns like it's nobody's business.

I have yet to answer and post answers for SP8. Rather than listing them here, I'd like to do like Sherrill and have them on another site with a link. Maybe tomorrow.

Time to round up Bonny for another visit to the veterinarian's office. Her tummy is still infected from her operation over a month ago. Not only do I feel terrible for the kitty, but I seethe at paying the $35.00 office visit each time I take her back in. They were the ones who spayed her and one would think this would be a follow up. They did suggest that I consider taking out medical insurance on my pets though. Ha!

10 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Quite an exciting mail day for you. So jealous!

2:32 PM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Okay - I am drooling now....

2:46 PM  
Blogger Heide said...

oops! We've been married for almost 14 years, I just can't count.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Sherrill said...

http://amazinglace.licketyknit.com/

Heide...have you seen the amazing lace KAL yet...check it out.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Emy said...

I work in a yarn shop, so I can answer your husband's questions. Tell him that he can believe me, I don't make this stuff up.

1. Yarn isn't always sold already balled up, because winding them up and having them sit on shelves can create creases in the yarn (or if it's really poorly wound, stretch it out), and ultimately damage it.

2. Most times, the shop can wind it for you. Exceptions are when there's a sale/crowd, or they're otherwise short-handed, in which case you'd have to go back when it's quieter. Also, some yarns you buy and aren't going to use them right away, and if you get those hanks wound into balls, it should be knit fairly soon. See note above re: changing tension.

3. If you do buy yarn to stash for later use, and then suddenly inspiration hits at an odd hour and you just know what that yarn needs to become and want to get started now, you need access to a swift and ball winder. Heaven forfend it be 11 p.m., because most yarn shops aren't open then! Hence, the need for your own gear.

4. Have pity on the poor LYS employees. I'm not kidding, there are days when I have wound more than THREE MILES of yarn in a day. My right arm aches from winding, there's a serious crick in my neck, my back hurts from having to bend over just a little over the table, and my left hand has a burn from letting the yarn run through it to keep a steady tension (not to mention the arm ache from holding it up for who knows how long). Pretty please?

Skritches to the kitty - I hope she fights off the infection soon.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, such a great package you received - no one can blame you for literally ripping it from the mailman's hands!
Your Liv sweater is going to look so fine, looking forward to seeing some more progress pics of it with the modifications you're going to make!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

What a lovely message from "emy". Just the news we all needed to know. Heavens! Every knitter needs a swift and a ball winder.
Thanks for your lovely message about me going home to England for a visit,
Cheers Gillian

3:45 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I never knew that about the tension thing. I just figured it was easier for the yarn manufacturer to wind hanks than skeins.

I guess this means I'd better get busy with the yarn I skeined not knowing this. O woe is me! I have to go sit in the briar patch and knit socks.

Your STR is beautiful. Droooool...

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is quite the haul. I've seen those swifts on EBay, so I'm looking forward to your review of it. (With pics? lol) I love my Royal, I use it just about everyday, and the cat loves it, too.

Oh, and more reasons to have your own gear: the yarn store may not have THAT yarn in stock, and most stores may not let you wind yarn you bought elsewhere. It's just not done. "House rules" kind of thing.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're home with how many kids all day? I think you've earned a swift/ball winder ;o) bonus: you can get the kids to turn the crank for you *grin*

I'm planning on doing the meme, btw. As soon as I have five minutes! ;o) Thanks for the tag!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home