Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Thank you Claudia!

Let me preface this by stating that I do not know Claudia. I originally discovered Claudia's blog through a link on Sherrill's blog. I'd occasionally lurk there to admire her knitting. Then this evening while skimming my usual blog links I read about Claudia, this time on the Stephanie's site. Stephanie (the Yarn Harlot) is encouraging all of her readers, knitters and non-knitters alike, to sponsor Claudia this year while she rides for the MS 150. The MS 150 is a 150 mile bike ride that takes place over a two day period. All money raised from this event goes directly to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
Just over 5 years ago I was diagnosed with relapsing remitting Multiple Sclerosis. My youngest daughter was only 5 months old and my older girls were just 2 and 4. To say I was tired and apprehensive is a gross understatement. Dietary changes, taking lots of medication and cutting way back on activities have been necessary. And although the left side of my body isn't at 100% I still feel very lucky to be doing as well as I am. Just think, less than 20 years ago there were no medications available! And even now, with the medicine, it's a craps shoot as to how fast the M.S. progresses. The cause and cure need to be found. Soon.
Organizations like the MS Society and the Montel Williams MS Foundation have helped raise money for research and made public awareness a priority. And although I cannot ride 150 miles on a bike (okay, so I probably was never in that good of shape) I appreciate all of those people who do. And although I don't know Claudia, if I ever do meet her I'm giving her a great big hug. So if you're able, head over to Claudia's site and check out what this terrific lady is doing. And if you can, send her a couple of dollars too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gillian said...

Hello Heide, I've done my meme tag and sent it on to as many people as I know will read my blog.
I'm off to England in a week's time to see my mother and also my sister who has had MS for twenty years now. She has the steadily degenerating variety so has not been able to take advantage of the new drugs but she did have the steroid therapy a couple of times which was an enormous help. She still gets about her own house and can drive short, familiar distances, but she loves it when I visit and we pack the portable scooter in the boot of the rent-a-car and go off and do Milton-Keynes Shopping centre for a few hours! We go home when the battery wears out.
Her son is 12 and I shall visit them all in a couple of weeks. I shall now go and check out Claudia's site
Cheers Gillian

8:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Heide,
I have 2 boys doing the MS Read-a-thon in Australia and couldn't agree more. We must find a cure.
Thank you for sharing your incredibly brave story. I'll keep you and your's in my thoughts and prayers.

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have contributed to MS for several years now. Ever since a friend of mine was diagnosed. You most definitely are included in that circle of friendship. I will now donate with you in mind, as well. If not a cure, soon, at least better treatments. Right?

6:47 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Heide, thanks so much for the mention! Take care.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend from my childhood just lost her father to MS and another good friend of the family has it. I donated last year and will donate again this year :o)

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home