Wednesday, May 10, 2006


Today I bit the proverbial bullet and finished my Mom's birthday cardigan... her birthday was March 24. I ended up just using the dreaded sewing machine as recommended in the book. Sewing machines and I share a mutual dislike. Using the machine made the sleeves look puckery instead of setting smoothly in the body. But it's done!



The chickens have been quite productive as of late. And eggs galore coupled with a sale on lemons equaled lemon meringue pies. I made two yesterday, but only 1/3 of one remains. Notice anything wrong with the top of the pie in this picture? The mysterious indentations in the meringue were actually no mystery at all.

The reason for the holes wasn't evaporation due to humidity or the meringue shrinking. The actual reason for the pock-marked pie is much more sinister.

The culprit! My seven year old daughter (A-2). Not only did she eat almost half of the first pie by herself, but she decided to try the second as well.


Tomorrow's baking will be nothing more than several loaves of banana bread. At least it lasts more than 24 hours!

I am in the process of bartering a bag with the multi-talented Trek. My new bag is titled "Stumbling over Chaos". That sounds like a theme song for this zoo!

Tonight I'll knit some more on the giant socks for Dad and my Liv Sweater.

Oh, oh! Karen (no blog due to small children infestation) went out to her Ancestors.com account and looked up information on my Grandma! Too cool, I can't wait to see what it says. THANK YOU KAREN! Happy knitting to all.

11 Comments:

Blogger sheep#100 said...

It's on its way even as I type!

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mom's sweater turned out great! It's beautiful :o)

7:35 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

The sweater looks great. I bet it feels good to have it finished.

Your daughter is adorable. With a face like that I would let her eat pie all day!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I think the finished cardi looks fantastic. Congratulations on a job well done. :o) Oh, and the pie looks delicious too.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the cardi looks so fantastic. what a great job you did with it - I'm sure your Mom is going to love it!
And ohhh - may I come over for a slice - or 2, or 3 or more... of this yummy looking pie? Lemon meringue, gosh, that sounds like heaven and certainly tastes as such!
Your daughter is such a cutie, I can blame her for her big smile with that yummy pie in front of her! :)

3:35 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Oh Wow! I don't know where to start.
What a wonderful "cardi". I really envy people's ability to do such intricate multi-coloured patterning.
AND then some lemon meringue pie!
Yum.
Cheers Gillian

3:56 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

The sweater came out fabulous!!! I don't see puckering at all. I can't believe how fast those pies are going - they sure are a big hit, huh? I love this time of year for baking . . . I'm always sad in the summer when it feels to hot to turn on the oven.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

The sweater looks great and the pies look so tasty that my mouth is watering right now.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, you're good girl. That sweater turned out spectacularly (sic?). I love it. Your Mom is going to be thrilled. A2 is not just cute, she's pretty. A2 sounds like the peak at Everest, doesn't it? I know, I know, it's K2. BTW, I love lemon meringue pie and yours turned out great (poke holes included and required).

12:07 PM  
Blogger kitkatknit said...

If A-2 and I teamed up the entire lemon meringue pie would be gone. I don't like the meringue so I'd let her eat all of that providing I got to eat all the lemon part. Sound like a deal A-2??

5:03 PM  
Blogger Sherrill said...

What can I say, you rock. Meringue pie! Nummy. The Fair Isle is fab too!

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home