Tuesday, August 15, 2006

14 Years!


August 15, a day that will live in infamy... okay, so maybe not. But 14 years ago B & I became official. Happy anniversary B!

This picture* was taken just before the limousine pulled away from the church. We ran (literally) down the aisle and kept going out the door. The driver whisked us across town to the reception where we were the first arrivals. We popped open a bottle of champagne and awaited our guests.

After 15 minutes no guests had arrived and the first bottle was empty, so we opened a second. Towards the bottom of the second bottle we began passing it back and forth, no need for silly little fluted glasses. Still no guests. Where had everybody gone? Maybe they were pissed because we ran out of the church without saying goodbye . Or maybe this was the wrong wedding reception and we were drinking somebody else's champagne.

Hick. No worries. People we recognized began arriving. They told us that the town's drawbridge had opened up to let a ship pass and that mechanical problems prevented it from closing again. But now the problem had been fixed and everyone arrived all at once... almost.

At this point the reception line, consisting of my parents, his parents and finally the two of us, was supposed to greet the guests. Neither set of our parents were there so B and I were the reception line. Due to the aforementioned consumption of champagne I remember nothing that was said and take no responsibility for crude or offensive remarks.

Other than the drawbridge incident and one table collapsing at the reception this was an uneventful beginning to our lives together.

*Disclaimer: I did NOT pick out this parade float/wedding dress. The story regarding this is long, boring and unremarkable.

17 Comments:

Blogger sheep#100 said...

Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaappy Anniversary!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Happy Anniversary.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I so love that pic of you guys, you look so happy together - and obviously you still are! And what a great story! A big cheers to you!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great picture. You were a beautiful bride and B, what a cutie. Congratulations and may you both be happy for a long long time. The road may not be easy, but you aren't alone.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

Happy Anniversary! Too funny about the champagne comsumption!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy anniversary! What a cute story! Champagne, how good non memories are made.

2:45 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Happy anniversary! :)

3:25 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

That's a wonderfully, special story.
I hope that you had a great Anniversary and have a terrific year to follow,
Cheers Gillian

3:35 PM  
Blogger Quilt'n & Scrap'n TruckRLady said...

hehehe...now that's the H & B I know ;)
you were toasted by the champaign after the first few swallow, but it tasted sooooooooo good, you just had to have more ;)
We just celebrated our 11th anniversary on the 12th.......so, from one happy (most days) couple to another ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!
hugs!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sherrill said...

Happy Anniversary! I have to tell you...I was married (ok, the first husband on August 15, 1985...Yikes)

I hope you both have as much love for each other now as you did on that day. Best wishes...oh, the office opens on August 17th....just an fyi)

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that damn bridge! And that dress! I also remember you uh ... doing something very unladylike in the parking lot ... but I'll leave that story to another day when I need a lot of money and feel the need to extort someone. :) Happy Anniversary! And many more to come! Love, Karen O (from Mom's computer)

5:36 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Happy Anniversary!! Wedding dresses...best forgotten I think. Mine was a frilly meringue number too. Very early 80s ....and best left there. (g)

5:57 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I loved your "wedding story" . . . I really laughed out-loud. You know, it makes me think that I wish Pea and I had a few minutes of alone time after our ceremony. (With champagne - yummy)

Wedding dress/parade float . . . too funny. :)

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - 14 years! I still have the pictures you sent me. Happy anniversary.

-Bob Tomolonis

3:56 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

So, did we buy shoes? All is well in my universe. I hope the same goes for you. Have a good weekend and BIG HUGS!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Crankipantz said...

Hey, that's great...many more Happy Anniversaries to you both! Is "anniversaries" actually a word?

If I remember correctly, that's the year I met you as well...and Bob too (see 2 comments up). Bob must really be getting old, eh?

;-)

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home