Monday, August 21, 2006

Hey there! Not much to report from the looney bin. We're still packing, painting and dealing with all of the usual moving and house-selling annoyances. I signed up for another KAL. I have two other UFOs to be completed before I can cast on. And rather than use the suggested silk yarn I'm going to use something from my embarassingly large stash.

We've had one house offer, which we declined. The prospective buyer had some strange requests and a contingency on his house selling. His house is located in the Hill-Top neighborhood of Tacoma. Shudder. The HT area is notorious for drugs, shootings, gangs, etc.

Our realtors are very nice and they'll talk the ears off a stone statue. If you are from the southern USA then insert, "Bless their hearts" here to indicate an impending slam. But they've not actually done anything beyond putting a sign in front of our house. I'm pushing them for some kind, any kind of published advertising and an open house. They aren't very keen on my suggestions. Heck, the flyers in the box attached to our yard sign aren't even complete. There is no mention of the number of beds/baths or square footage of the house. Call me crazy, but I'd consider these to be major selling details.

B. left to begin his new job in the thriving metropolis of Portland. As much as I detest cities there are some great amenities in Portland, including:
1. The airport there is easy to access and not anywhere near as crowded as SeaTac.
2. The MAX commuter trains are fast, frequent and efficient so there is no need to actually drive in the city if you so choose.
3. Powell's Books Not only is this a really cool bookstore, but on September 6th everyone's favorite knitting author will be there!
4. Lots and lots of yarn stores.
5. Not much difference time-wise to my parents' home, we're just coming from the opposite direction.

Not much else to say. Hope everyone is well.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Expect a sudden flurry of activity when it gets close to the end of your contract with the real estate folks. It seems to be pretty much the way this goes no matter where you live. The shorter the contract, the sooner the activity. At least that's been my experience. I love the KAL sweater, but I am afraid I am too well endowed to pull that off. I can't wait to see yours. Portland sounds way cool. Take care, kiddo.

6:53 AM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Fire realtor.
Get new one.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Ye Merrie Quilter said...

I hope you don't mind, but I wrote to my realtor for some advise. I asked her if she knows someone in the area who might be able to help you out, too. I was trying to take the day off today, except for a couple of phone calls, dishes, laundry, taking care of the kids, and paying the bills. Doesn't really sound like I'm "taking the day off" does it? We really need to unbury most of the floor and walls so the house inspector can find stuff. God help us!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Ye Merrie Quilter said...

Actually, now that I think about it, you could make your own yard fliers, couldn't you? Put a pic of the house & shop, a couple pics of the inside, numbers of bedrooms & baths, all the updates you've done, etc. When I was looking at houses (driving through neighborhoods) that's what I needed to know. Good luck! Love, K

3:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Doesn't it really @#^$% you off when you have to tell someone how to do their job???

Good luck! (Maybe a cup of tea, a bex and a good lie down is in order!)

4:24 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Sounds like you are keeping a good attitude despite your RE agent's ignorance of their job requirements. I takes me hat off to you. (g) But seriously, I'd read the riot act to them. Tell them to get their act together, or you'll go with someone else who can provide better service. You are paying them after all!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

A simple message or phone call to say "I feel that you haven't been doing as much as I would like, towards selling our house" will probably wake them up. Have ready a list of the things like you've told us and recite them to them. Tell them that you can email this list to them straight away. Tell them that people all around the world who love you and contact you daily, are waiting to hear who they are so that they can condemn them on millions of blogs for ever, because of their casual attitude.
Selling a house is not a casual move and you deserve coddling and much more attention.
Lots of love and the usual cheers as well, Gillian

8:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I think it's time to get a new agent. They should be doing way more for you in terms of marketing.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Portland is unbelievably cool. You can smell the trees there, I swear!

Powell's alone is reason enough to love the place.

Oh, and I agree with Gillian about your next moves with the realtor.

Good luck with everything!

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home