Friday, August 25, 2006

Today I knitted my swatch for the simple knitted bodice KAL. I'm still uncertain about using the beaded yarn for the accents. The original pattern calls for Tilly Tomas silk yarn and a TT accent yarn featuring sequins. I'm not really a sequins kind of gal. Not that it was really an issue because there was no way I could afford the TT silk. This Peruvian Highland Silk is a wool/silk blend from Elann in the Autumn Purple colorway. The beads are some inexpensive Czech glass beads purchased at Michael's crafts. Stringing beads for knitting is very time consuming and any hints or tips would be welcome. Official cast-on for this project is on Sept. 1st.

*We have another house showing tomorrow and unfortunately the house and yard look horrible. The kitchen is about 1/4 of the way painted and all of the outlet covers are missing and there is masking tape absolutely everywhere. In addition, I just pulled the HUGE pile-o-crap out of the garage and dumped it in our back yard so I could sort and set up for a moving sale. It looks like Fred Sanford lives here. "Look out Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you!"

*just a note, this will be the second walk through and our "realtors" are nowhere in the loop.

11 Comments:

Blogger MrsFife said...

Can I ask a silly question? Are you using a "big-eye" beading needles to string your beads? It really helps. I've used it for my crochet.

10:50 PM  
Blogger stitching pooh said...

I saw on tv this gal use a small needle and string it with regular thread she then put the needle through the yarn and then was able to quickly dip in a bowl and put the beads on. Just a thought I haven't tried it but It looked like it was working well. Good luck.:)

11:28 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I took a knitting/beading class and there is a really strange way to do it (and I'm not really sure it looks quite right), but you can add the bead at the stitch. You might try googling it. It takes a crochet hook to do it, but I have to admit, I'm not a sparkly shiny person, so I have never used any of the techniques myself. The only way to make it look "right" is to string the damned beads on the yarn. BTW, definitely get the big eye beading needles and buy several packs. They break because of the yarn. I'm dying to know what you think of that yarn. I have it in a peacock color. I'm pulling for the showing. Sometimes when you think it's bad, ya know?

5:04 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

Um, I'm going to go bang my head against a wall someplace now. I didn't know they had special needles for this very task. I just put soap on the end of the yarn and tried to string the beads through the worsted weight yarn. Every now and again I totally stripped the yarn and had to cut the end off and soap up again. Thank you all for the big eye needle tips as well as the the string trick and crochet at the site methods. Y'all rock!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

If you can't find the Big Eye beading needle, which work great, go to the drugstore and get the dental flossers for people with braces. They work great and are cheap.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a braver woman than I with the beading thing! Good luck! That yarn is beautiful! :o)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

I agre with jessalu. You are so brave but not just about the beading thing. I knitted a beaded purse and in Oz a purse is the little zip up thing you keep your coins in. I knitted the second side plain!
And Cindi has a good point,we sold my mother-in-law's house to someone who had to climb over piles of bags and furniture.
Cheers Gillian

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this bodice is going to look perfect with that yarn you're using, it looks so incredibly soft and the color is so gorgeous!
I'm sorry, but I'm of no help with the beading, haven't tried my hands at it yet - but I've already read the answers and tips you got with big interest :)

11:24 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

The colour is gorgeous and looks so sumptuous. Just lovely. I'm seriously thinking about knitting this pattern too, so will be watching your progress with much interest. :o)

5:18 PM  
Blogger Sherrill said...

Heide...I just got my pattern tonight for this. I was thinking of the Highland Silk...funny, I totally missed this post on your blog. Great minds, eh? Love, love, love the color.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you like the Peruvian Silk? I'm still yarn shopping until I get my first paycheck!

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home