Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Baa Humbug!

Ho ho hum, it's that magical time of year again. Most of our neighbors have decked their homes and yards in true Griswold fashion. Lines at the post office are excruciatingly long and even local gas stations are pushing holiday gift giving to a whole new level. So yesterday as Christmas Muzak assaulted my eardrums at the grocery store I decided it was time to get in the spirit.



Trips to the attic yielded boxes of lights and a crick in my neck. Note the neat and orderly state of these lights? Yes, that is sarcasm. But Bonny was delighted with the new smells and chewy strings.







The fruits of several hours' labor... one lone tree with lights and a wreath on the door. But this wee tree has sparked my enthusiasm to do more. I will have the happiest, brightest and probably most offensive house in the cul-de-sac by week's end.

And as far as not fulfilling all of my Christmas knitting plans... I've adopted a new philosophy. 2006 is not even a remotely plausible goal for most intended projects. So this year lots of homebaked cookies, breads, jams and jellies will be given in lieu of handmade socks, hats and other fibery gifts. And I'll just consider myself "ahead" for my 2007 Christmas knitting!

And since no knitting UFOs or WIPs haunt my needles I can relax and enjoy starting a deadline free project of my choosing this evening. Whoo hoo hoo hoo, could life get any better? Cheers y'all!

6 Comments:

Blogger kitkatknit said...

Bah Humbug. I don't do lights, I barely get a tree up. But I do spin and knit all sorts of presents for friends and family. That's about all the holiday cheer I can muster!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Aren't you smart! My lights went up last Sunday. I put white lights on a tiny evergreen we have in a pot in the front and put a wreath on the door and light it with a spotlight. Big woop. Anyway, I love your idea about the Christmas knitting. I'm still slogging along on the secret gift (which is a shawl for my niece Peanut). That and a sock toe and I'm about done. Can't wait to see what you put on your needles tonight.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, the shopping's mostly done but I haven't decorated a damned thing...*sigh*

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holiday decorating: I used to put electric candles in every window, but our "new" old house doesn't have enough outlets, so that's out. I used to hang 500 feet of lights, in graceful swags, from our picket fence. But we don't have a fence, so that's out. Holiday decorating is easy this year. (Last year, I pulled out a huge box of lights on which I had apparently left this note: "Some lights need to be replaced." Great. Which ones???????)

As for Christmas baking, every couple of years I will start baking cookies around now, and freeze them. One batch every few days. Then, as the holidays approach, I can whip out three or four varieties and throw them on a plate or send them home with guests or give them to the mailman or whatever. It's easier than spending two full days up to my elbows in flour. Just a thought.

3:27 AM  
Blogger V said...

I'm so jealous. I wish I could give up at this point, but I'm just in too deep! But there are SOOOO many things I want to just sit and make! Have fun!

4:07 AM  
Blogger Ye Merrie Quilter said...

Kelly bought one of those light nets for the juniper bush on the side of the house (the one that always smelled of cat pee). It's gone now, sacrificed for the drainage system around the south end of the house. Now what do I do with the net? Oh, and do you have some of the green yarn left over from the socks you made for me? I wore a hole in the bottom of one...I should know better than to wear them on hardwoods! Love, Karen

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home