Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Yesterday was spent volunteering in A3's Kindergarten classroom, paying bills and grocery shopping. This doesn't sound like much, but those tasks, coupled with the normal cooking, cleaning, homework help, etc., ate up the entire day. Translation: no time for knitting :(. Today doesn't look promising either, but a girl can always hope. The victims of neglect:

Embossed leaves
in Mama-E's "Beau"
feeling sadly
alone and forlorn.








Bonny reminding me
that I have a second
knitting UFO,
my sister's cabled vest,
waiting my attention too.
(She's making it "important"
by sitting on it).

One of the daily challenges faced in our home is school lunches. Most schools, ours included, serve horrible tasting food that is low on nutrition and high in simple carbs, fats, etc. And pb&j from home quickly becomes old hat. Coupled with that is the guilt associated with straying from a previously healthier diet. We used to be "almost vegetarian". Meaning we still consumed dairy and some seafood. I know, vegans would scoff indignantly and call us dietary posers. Also eschewed were processed flours, fried foods and anything with preservatives or high-fructose corn syrup. Anyway, we're trying to revert back. My selfish reason being that my butt is shall we say... Taking on a life of its own and now usurping territory previously reserved for the backs of my thighs and the small of my back. These boundary disputes require immediate attention before an all-out war ensues.

Well, V, my coffee/knit swap buddy has an ingenious solution which I'm attempting to copy. Each day she packs delicious and nutritious O'Bento style lunches for both her daughter and herself. My first attempts:


Because A2 is particulary fussy, I've decided to allow her to continue to have her fruit snacks, but eventually these will be phased out too.

Because several of you have inquired about the containers I thought I'd "come clean". These are nothing more than odds and ends from my plastics/avalanche cupboard. The creative person I copied this idea from, uses cupcake papers as dividers for many of her foods to keep them neat and organized. Pretty much any old container would work. My girls seemed more impressed with using the toothpicks to skewer their food bits than in the food itself or in the packaging.

Now, off to call the roofer & complete other tasks which interrupt my knitting.





9 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Our schools have just implemented plans to do away with fried foods and pies and pasties, and introduce new healthier foods. Fruit is very good, and at Isabelle's kinder they are only allowed to bring fruit or vegetables, or now sandwiches. Isabelle usually has fruit, or grated carrot, beetroot or cucumber. We were always told that as long as your children ate fruit or vegetables by the age of 7 it was okay, and then get them to eat both after that age. I love your purple sock too by the way, and the catsitter looks adorable.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I personally feel that trying is half the battle. Sometimes we can't eat exactly the way we know we should. Give yourself a pat on the back for trying. Also, give yourself some time to knit. You need a break. In fact, consider that an order:)

1:50 PM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

Where did you get those?

4:46 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

They might be cooling their heels, but those EL socks of yours are looking lovely so far. The lunches look pretty darned good too. :o)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

How cool are those Bento Lunch boxes!!! You are a super mom. :) I hope you find some time for knitting soon.

PS: How weird is it that we were reading each other's blogs at the same time? I was reading your second paragraph when your comment got e-mailed to me. :)

6:57 PM  
Blogger KeanaLee said...

nice lunches, my diaghter would love them & I need those lunch boxes!

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a kid, I would have killed to get such lunch packets with me - as it is, my Mom slapped something onto a sandwich and that was it. *Sob* - the younger me in me gets jealous when she sees these goodies ;)

12:01 AM  
Blogger V said...

Wooo-hoo! Bento fever! Little A likes the skewers too! Btw...you can get reusable cupcake papers...they are silicone. Very useful. I knew I wasn't one to be able to keep up with changing holidays and such with those papers, so they work very well for me. Though I imagine the appeal of some of those cute paper might make a good case for abandoning the silicone ones sometimes.

Your socks looks fabulous too! Are you in the Mama-E sock club?

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea for lunches - if anything it at least adds some fun to eating ;o)

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home